Project #288 East State Street & US 33 Interchange Improvements –
The US 33 & East State Street Project includes improvements to 2.96 miles of East State Street by adding an additional left turn lane, new sidewalk along the south side of the street (East Park Drive to Lowe's), signal improvements, milling and resurfacing, concrete joint repair, and pavement marking improvements. The US 33 ramp improvements include lighting improvements, adding an additional right turn lane onto East State Street and adding an additional receiving lane on US 33. An exhibit of the project can be viewed on the City's website: https://www.ci.athens.oh.us/DocumentCenter/View/4009.
Freedom Construction Enterprises, Incorporated, the Contractor for the US 33 & East State Street Project, is expected to begin preliminary activities in February and fully mobilize to the project area in early March.
The project will be managed in phases. During each phase, the Contractor will maintain residential, business, pedestrian, and emergency traffic. Please note that the schedule is subject to change based on weather, or other unforeseen circumstances. Regular project updates will be posted on the City's website: www.ci.athens.oh.us.
- Pothole patching on East State Street is planned for February. The Contractor is coordinating the early opening of an asphalt plant to provide hot-mix asphalt for the patching. This activity is weather dependent.
- Mobilization to the site will begin in early March. The Contractor will begin installing conduit for lighting and signals, and will begin sidewalk work.
- Joint Repairs on the concrete roadway (approximately from Cook Drive to East State Street Access Road) are scheduled between May and July.
- Milling and resurfacing between Utah Place and Cook Drive is scheduled in June. Temporary pavement markings will be installed after the street is resurfaced.
- Traffic Impacts: Single lane closures are allowed, access to side streets and businesses will be maintained. No work on East State Street is permitted on Saturdays.
- Signalization and lighting work will continue.
- The Contractor will be allowed to close the US 33 WB off-ramp, and US 33 WB on-ramp (ramps by Applebee's) starting June 11. Commercial and truck traffic will be detoured via US 50. Local traffic will be detoured via the Stimson Avenue exit and to US 50.
- This phase also includes work on the US 33 EB on-ramp (ramp by Bob Evans). Temporary pavement will be installed to maintain traffic.
- Traffic Impacts: Single lane closures are allowed, access to side streets and businesses will be maintained. No work on East State Street is permitted on Saturday. The US 33 WB off-ramp and US WB on-ramp are expected to open to traffic on August 10.
- Signalization and lighting work will be completed.
- Work on the US 33 EB on-ramp will be completed.
- A truck detour will be installed.
- The Contractor will complete the median work between Home Street and Utah Place.
- Milling and resurfacing between Home Street and Utah Place will be completed in the fall (currently scheduled for September). Permanent Pavement Markings will be installed after the street is resurfaced.
- Traffic Impacts: Single lane closures are allowed, access to side streets and businesses will be maintained. The contractor is reviewing night paving. No work on East State Street is permitted on Saturdays.
As part of this project, Freedom Construction Enterprises, Incorporated, will be employing a Community Liaison. The Community Liaison will assist the Contractor with maintenance of traffic activities, and coordinate with businesses and residents during construction activities.
We appreciate your cooperation with this worthwhile project. Questions or concerns may be directed to the City of Athens Engineering and Public Works Department, 740-593-7636. Please also watch the City website, www.ci.athens.oh.us, for project updates.
Final Tracings - Re-Bid
East State Street Interchange Display
East State Street Proposed Improvements
US 33 Ramp Closure
Project #307 Water Treatment Plant Improvements Project, Phase 1 –
The Phase 1 project will include electrical upgrades, general plant improvements, and improvements to instrumentation and controls.
Projects in Planning:
Project #321 Richland Avenue Bridge Rehabilitation - The proposed project includes the rehabilitation of the Richland Avenue bridge near 362 Richland Avenue. The existing bridge was constructed over Coates Run in 1935, and is a two-span reinforced concrete slab. The project includes rehabilitating the bridge with a single reinforced concrete span.
The proposed project is slated for construction in 2019. The rehabilitation of the structure will be completed in two sections (east and west sections) and will require the use of a temporary traffic signal to allow two-way traffic to be maintained on Richland Avenue.
Richland Avenue Bridge Information Handout
Richland Avenue Bridge Proposed Maintenance of Traffic Sheet
Richland Avenue Bridge Final Plan Set
Project #296 NW Athens Bikeway Spur Phase 3 –
This project includes the third phase of the NW Athens Bikeway Spur Project: Armitage Road to University Estates Boulevard.
NW Bikeway Spur Phase III Informational Handout
NW Bikeway Spur Phase III Alignment and Profile
NW Bikeway Spur Phase III Proposed Layout
NW Bikeway Spur Phase III Public Comment Response
NW Bikeway Spur Phase III - Final Plans
Project #311 Richland Avenue Pedestrian Improvements -