The Richland Avenue Pedestrian Passageway Project includes construction of a grade-separated pedestrian passage under Richland Avenue between West Green Drive and Bobcat Lane. The purpose of the project is to improve the pedestrian’s experience and safety by eliminating hundreds of daily vehicular and pedestrian conflicts at the existing crossing. The project includes pedestrian friendly barriers, aesthetic lighting, sidewalk reconfiguration, and intersection improvements at West Green Drive and Bobcat Lane.
A view of the street detour during the project
A view of the rendering is located below:
Rietschlin Construction, Incorporated, the Contractor for the Richland Avenue Pedestrian Passageway Project, is expected to begin preliminary activities in February and mobilize to the project area on March 2, 2020.
Construction of the project will require a closure on Richland Avenue between West Green Drive and Bobcat Lane, beginning on March 2, 2020. Local traffic will be maintained on West Green Drive and Bobcat Lane throughout the project. The vehicle detour will be South Shafer Street and West Union Street, and a detailed pedestrian detour will utilize temporary sidewalks and existing sidewalks to guide pedestrians to West Green and Baker Center.
The project is expected to be completed by September 11, 2020, will be managed in phases. Please note that the schedule is subject to change based on weather, or other unforeseen circumstances.
- Notice of Closure signs will be installed on Richland Avenue in February.
- Removal of the median island at the Bobcat Lane intersection and closure of Richland Avenue between Bobcat Lane and West Green Drive. Bobcat Lane and West Green Drive will remain open to local two-way traffic.
- Construction of the Richland Avenue Passageway. The Passageway is expected to be open to pedestrians in early August. Richland Avenue will remain closed to vehicles.
- Improvements to Bobcat Lane and West Green Drive intersections. Two-way traffic will be maintained; however, flagging or temporary signals are expected to be utilized.
- Richland Avenue is expected to re-open to vehicles by August 28, 2020.
- Final completion of the project is expected on September 11, 2020.
Questions or concerns may be directed to the City of Athens Engineering and Public Works Department, 740-593-7636. Project updates will be posted on the City website www.ci.athens.oh.us.