Athens Arts, Parks & Recreation will offer Youth Futsal this Fall!
What is Futsal?
Futsal is the only form of indoor soccer endorsed by FIFA. It earned the status of FIFA’s official form of indoor soccer in the 1980s as it was recognized as a scaled down version of outdoor soccer played indoors. It is a 5 v 5 small-sided game played on a hard surfaced, basketball sized court with a smaller, heavier low bounce ball. Futsal is played with touchline boundaries and without walls.
This is the game that outdoor soccer players around the globe play to refine and maintain their control skills and touch. It is superior to walled soccer in terms of developing better skills and technique. In traditional American walled soccer, players regularly whack the ball (and sometimes their bodies) against the boards which promotes improper technique and too often rewards errant play. In futsal, players are constantly reminded to play the same quality control game that is required for success in the outdoor game.
The sport is a great skill developer as it demands quick reflexes, fast thinking, pin-point passing. The small, heavier futsal ball requires players to hone their ball-striking and ball handling technique. Great soccer superstars such as Pele, Zico, Ronaldo, Messi, Kaka and Katia grew up playing the game and credit futsal with developing their skills.
To learn more about Futsal please go to www.futsal.com
Specific information about our Futsal league:
• For kids in 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th Grade
• All games played at the Athens Community Center in the Gymnasium
• Game days are Tuesdays/Thursdays
• Game times are 6p, 6:10p, 6:20p, 6:30p, 6:40p, 6:50p, & 7p
• Each team will play multiple 10 minute games a night
• Registration runs from October 6th to November 2nd
• Registration Fee is $32 per child
• Play will begin on Thursday, November 6th
• Season will end on December 18th (no games played on Thanksgiving)